Friday, May 25, 2007

Software Engineering as a Service

From the blogs I read and the people I talk to, I get the impression there's a ever growing movement of open source, free software delivered over the internet. The web is for everyone and owned by no-one is just one phrase which has added to this movement recently. I think it's fantasic; I can't think of many industries where people come together and passioned debates about the work we do, how we do it and the tools we use. Someone has to pay for it somewhere along the lines though right? I mean, if I write the next cool app, who's going to put food on my table? I think more and more, developers are having these great conversations and they're about making the development experience for other developers easier and better, simple and open always wins as they say. Although developers have a big say, and as Tim O'Reilly pointed out with alpha geeks they tend to pull the industry along somewhat, it's businesses who pay for applications, products and services. So, although we care about developers, we still have to be mindful of businesses.



I suppose a question to ask is: who is our customer?

No comments: