Monday, May 07, 2007

Release Early vs Release Smarter

A while ago I tried to get onto the WCF bandwagon, but struggled because of the high barrier of entry. I was more put off when a few of the smartest developers I know (generally anyone developer I know) when to Redmond to play with the WCF team and couldn't even get something working. Then, as I was in a bookshop, I noticed a WCF book. Well, if someone's written a book about it, it must be ready for consumption by mortal developers like me. Seems not. I still have to install the Windows SDK to get a tool which is around 100kB to generate WCF friendly proxy classes.

Releasing technologies early is cool. If you get a beta, you expect some teething problems, but now after a few months of .Net 3 being released, I'd expect better tool sets by now. It just makes me thing, if you're going to release something, please make sure there's appropriate tools and support.

No comments: