Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Robbie on Rails

The last few weeks I've been involved in a new project at work that invovles building a portal and we went and had a play with Ruby on Rails. So far, so good. I must confess that I like the way that your application is structured in Rails, it stops a lot of ambiguity and I'm a big fan of the MVC pattern which Rails uses everywhere. It's the first pattern learnt at university, so I suppose there's a fond place for me there kinda like how I shop at the supermarket I used to stack shelfs at when I was 17! lol.

I bought a few books on rails for the office and I'm a bit disapointed with one of the books which claimed to be "agile" and hasn't shown me how to write a test and I'm upto chapter 6.

On another note, I've been asked to do a rails brown bag at work, I may use what this book has taught me, but introduce tests.

hmmm

1 comment:

Kerry Buckley said...

Testing's in chapter 13 ;-)

To be fair, I don't think it makes sense to try and introduce TDD until you understand how the framework works. Think of the depot application as a spike for Rails development.